All three Burkhardt Manufacturing buildings were salvaged from the Tanforan detention facility which was closed in 1942. These buildings were used during World War II as a temporary detention camps established by the U.S. Army to hold Japanese Americans removed from the West Coast until more permanent concentration camps could be constructed from April 28 to October 13, 1942
* By 1950 much of the military construction west of Tanforan was removed although thirteen original acres is still used by the U.S. Marines Reserves. The racetrack burned down on July 31, 1964. In the late 1960s it became the Shops at Tanforan Mall. At the southwest entrance of the mall there is a large statue of the famous racing horse Seabiscuit and two other historical markers that includes a brief description of Tanforan Assembly Center. In 2007, a Garden of Remembrance was planted in honor of the Tanforan internees.
* Densho Encyclopedia. Retrieved on April 18, 2017 from http://encyclopedia.densho.org/Tanforan_(detention_facility)/.
Drawing in the art school, photographer Dorothea Lange, Jun. 16, 1942, Tanforan Assembly Center, California.
Lange, Dorothea (photographer)